Dear Families, Employees and Friends:
As we plan for reopening, please be aware that the health and safety for our participants and employees is the top priority. We have incorporated CDC, Department of Health, State Education Department and Office for People with Developmental Disabilities guidelines into our re-opening plans. Our agency wide task force was divided into five committees: Health and Safety, Programs, Facilities, Transportation and Employees. These committees developed recommendations for policies, procedures and protocols to ensure compliance with governmental guidelines. Committee members addressed:
• Social distancing and reducing density
• Health screening and preventative hygiene
• Cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting
• Communication, training and education
• Arrival/Dismissal protocols
• Transportation strategies
This is an emotional time for all of us and we recognize the stress that re-opening places on employees, families, students and program participants. We have conducted meetings with stakeholders, the general community, our families and our employees. We understand you may still have questions. I encourage you to reach out to our COVID-19 point persons from each division, as they will do their best to address concerns.
While it is possible that a member (s) of our campus will be exposed to COVID-19, at Kulanu we are taking every reasonable precaution to prevent this from happening. This includes but is not limited to:
• Daily employee health screenings including temperature checks prior to admittance on campus
• Daily student/client health screenings including temperature checks prior to admittance on campus
• Training on self-screening guidelines for symptoms
• Policies and procedures for re-entry to campus post COVID-19 illness
• All employees and participants are required to wear masks in accordance with state guidelines
• Training on compliance with self-quarantine rules
• Tracing of staff/participants recent travel to states designated by governor as COVID hotspots
• Signage throughout the campus which communicate, promote and enforce procedures and expectations
Any employee or participant who exhibits any sign of illness or does not fill out a daily health screening questionnaire, will not be permitted to enter any building on the campus.
We have always relied on the partnership between Kulanu employees and our families. WE NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE at this critical time where health is our concern.
Families are expected to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 by checking their children daily for any symptoms. If a participant is sick or has had close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19, they MUST stay home from school.
Employees must stay at home if they are not well.
While New York State has managed to decrease the number of cases of COVID-19, please remember there is a 14-day quarantine should you travel to a state or area noted under the travel advisory https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory
Kulanu, “ALL OF US TOGETHER”, will make a safe and healthy environment for the return to program for the 2020-21 year. We look forward to seeing you!
Dr. Beth Raskin
Testing of students and employees will not be conducted by the school. Should an individual report illness or arrive on site with a temperature over the acceptable threshold, they will be denied entry and referred for medical attention. A list of COVID-19 testing sites will be provided.
Our school staff, having received certification for completion of the Johns Hopkins Tracing course, will assist in contact tracing through attendance, making note of cohorts and tracking contact as much as possible within the building. The school has created a contact tracing mechanism that allows us to identity any contact between/among the organization’s employees and cohorts. Nassau County requires that the County complete all contact tracing. Kulanu’s Compliance Officer will provide the County all assistance requested. For information please refer to the NY Forward Safety Plan and the Department of Health Plan posted on this site.